After some mulling, and wandering around the house looking for something interesting that fit the theme, I noticed a couple of large, decorative chess pieces sitting on the mantle. It occurred to me that it might be interesting to mix these up with some normal sized pieces, and see what came out. The results are below. Click for uncropped view.
I played with the composition, trying to get an interesting contrast between the small king and his attackers. But I also spent a lot of time on the light. With the dark pieces on the black background, I ended up with both strobes slightly to the rear on either side, giving decent rim lighting for separation. I also used a lot of reflectors to fill in the shadows in the front.
Let me know what you think. I have submitted the one called “Chess” for the weekly assignment.